Five jailed, others are detained after raid

HUNTINGTON – A heavily fortified West Huntington apartment raided in early January was again the target of Huntington Police action early Tuesday morning.

Tavarius Darnell Jones, 39, of Decatur, Georgia, who was arrested during the first police raid, was jailed again Tuesday. According to a criminal complaint filed in Cabell County Magistrate Court, Jones was charged with felony possession with intent to deliver a controlled substance. Cabell County Magistrate Dan Goheen set a bond of $100,000 cash-only. A preliminary evidence hearing is set for 10:30 a.m. March 1.

Huntington Interim Police Chief Hank Dial said, in addition to Jones, four others were jailed on misdemeanor charges and warrants after the early morning raid.

A total of 15 people were detained after two different apartments in a divided home were raided.

According to the criminal complaint filed in Cabell County Magistrate Court, Jones allegedly delivered about half of a gram of suspected crack to a confidential informant, who was working under the direction of the Huntington Police Department and the FBI Violent Crimes Drug Task Force, at an apartment in the 900 block of Washington Avenue.

Detective Erin Blackburn said the substance had a texture, appearance and packaging consistent with crack cocaine, and it also field tested positive for cocaine when it was processed as evidence, according to a criminal complaint filed in Cabell County Magistrate Court.

Cash, guns and drug paraphernalia were all found during Tuesday’s raid.

Dial said it was the second time the building had been raided in less than two months. When police first responded to the unit after receiving tips from concerned community members, Huntington Police Capt. Rocky Johnson told The Herald-Dispatch that in his 27-year career, "I’ve never seen a house barricaded or fortified like this one."

The homeowner was cited Tuesday under Huntington’s nuisance property code and it will be turned over to the city for further investigation. In the meantime, a "do not occupy" sign has been posted on the home.

Jones was one of eight people arrested in the Jan. 3 raid at the home.

At that time, the apartments were the first floor and basement of a house separated into at least two units. The windows were barricaded with steel bars that time, as well.

To enter the unit, the SWAT team had to batter the front door, which was barricaded from the inside with two 4-by-4 slabs of wood that sat in iron, angled hooks fastened to both sides of the door frame. Five TVs were hooked up to cameras with as many as 12 angles.

Jones and the four other individuals were booked at Western Regional Jail in Barboursville on Tuesday.

Follow reporter Courtney Hessler at and via Twitter @HesslerHD.

Source Article